Thursday, September 13, 2012

1001000 1101001

As continuance to the previous post, I'll present the rasterized drawing this time around. To recap, it was sketched on plain paper, scanned and then colorized in Photoshop. Surprisingly, the picture looked rather plain on paper, but when I scanned it and fiddled with the contrast, shadowy areas started appearing here and there. I instantly thought "Whee! Instant shadowing!", but as always there were drawbacks involved, i.e. more contrast, more shadows, more cleaning up afterward as the faux-shadows spilled out into places they shouldn't. The eyes, serial number and hand decals were added into the blue bot, whereas the green scanner light and knee decals were added to the yellow bot. Only the eyes (where applicable) on both bots use filter-effects this time around. The serial numbers and knee decals were done via the text tool, and the hand decals were whipped up with the shape tool. What surprised me about the shape tool was that one couldn't automatically set a stroke to a shape, and one needed to add it via blending options. A new trick I tried this time around was the warp function, where I could apply some perspective distortion to the text and decals.

Present in the picture are two bots: the one on the right is built for surveillance and exploration, and the one one the right is designed for uh... political persuasion, I guess? I'm relatively satisfied as to how they turned out, although I can't express any particularities that I'm most proud of. I can pinpoint a few dislikes easily, however. The thumbs on the blue bot are too 2D and look like paper flaps. The blue bot seems to have a problem with it's posture as well, and it seems like it might fall on it's behind at any moment. The side of the head on the yellow bot was gone over without much of a plan, and it shows. On a side note, this picture is the largest of all others to date, with an original width of ~1900 pixels and a height of ~1600 pixels.

They dream in ASCII

No comments:

Post a Comment